2018-05-15

My drilling tools

Manual woodworking requires a surprising number of drilling tools.  I don't know of a single drill that can do it all.  Quite a bit of money will need to be invested to get a full range drilling capacity.
When it comes to drilling, the first tool required is a brace with bits.

Two regular braces


Full set of Irwin auger bits

Those bits are numbered from 4 (4/16") to 16 (16/16") and the speed at which they cut is driven by the number of thread per inch on the drive screw at the tip.  You will need a special file to sharpen those (I found mine at LeeValley).

Auger bit special file

When you use those auger bits you must not try to drill right thru.  You begin on one side and then you check for the screw to show on the other side and then stop and remove the bit from the hole.

Drill from one side...

Check for the screw on the other side and then stop

Rotate your board 180° and complete your hole.

Turn your board 180° and complete your hole.

I also own another small brace.  It's a 6" swing that I use for screwing.  I really like to screw with that brace.  It's a Stanley 924, 6".

Stanley 924, 6" used for screwing. Great tool.

Once in a while I need to drill a very small hole and I use a Yankee 41.

Yankee 41 for very small holes

My preferred eggbeater for holes up to 3/16" is a Hoppe from Germany.

Hoppe eggbeater from Germany

Recently I bought a very nice restored Millers Falls no. 2.  When I got it I was not sure that I wanted to use it at all.

Millers Falls no. 2 restored

As you can see, drilling requires a lot of tools and it can get quite expensive.  That's why when I was getting equipped for woodworking I kept those drilling tools for the end.

Normand

No comments:

Post a Comment