2018-05-15

Tool review: Stanley 12 scraper

I bought a lot of old tools a while back and now have two Stanley 12 which were part of that lot.  I wasn't a very interested with that tools but, after sharpening properly the blade, the results are great.  If I need to scrape this is now my favorite tool.

Stanley 12


In my arsenal I have a few card scrapers, a Stanley 80 and a Lie-Nielsen large scraping plane.  The LN scraper has given me all kind of problems.  It must be my fault but it's definitely a difficult tool to master.

The blade is in bad shape.  Here is how I sharpen it.

Initial condition.

Initial condition

I want to get nice clean steel near the edge on the back because I will be sharpening this blade with a 40-45° bevel.  I use D. Charlesworth "ruler trick" to achieve this.

Ruler trick for the back of the blade.

After a few minutes I have nice clean steel at the edge.

The next step is to shape a primary bevel at 40-45°.  I use a diamond stone for this.

The next step is to shape a primary bevel at 40-45°. I use a diamond stone for this.

This blade finally required a rough diamond stone because it's fairly thick and the end was square.
The burr is removed using an Arkansas stone but with a thick ruler.  I want to be sure that I'm on the very edge.

Removing the burr using an Arkansas stone. Notice the thick ruler being used.

Now it's a standard sharpening like any other blade.  I begin with a coarse stone.

Normal sharpening with coarse stone.

Followed by a fine India stone.

Fine India stone.

Leather with green compound (25 times each sides).

Leather with green compound, 25 times each sides.

For the back I keep the blade at a small angle to emulate what I've done with the thick ruler.

For the back, try to emulate the same angle as with the thick ruler.

The last step is to use a burnisher to form a hook.  I begin with an angle of 45° approx.

Using a burnisher, begin at 45°.

With each stoke the burnisher angle is reduced gradually to 15°.

With each stoke the burnisher angle is reduced gradually to 15°.

The pressure on the burnisher is not very much, maybe 5 or 10 lbs.
The blade in a Stanley 12 has an approximate angle of 5° forward.  Adding the 15° hook you get a total angle of attack of 20° with a tiny hook.  This is equivalent to have a plane with a 20° blade and a chipbreaker at a few thousand from the edge.

Let's test that tool and see if the blade is sharpened properly.  I use cherry.

Test cut using cherry.

If I want to have a heavier shaving I need to tilt the blade forward.

Heavier shaving after tilting the blade forward.

All the shavings are in the middle of the plane, that means that the sole is somewhat rounded.  It also means that it's a newer model (originally Stanley made flat soles).  It is, again, well documented on the excellent website of Supertool.

Now that this tool is all set to work, I use it to clean my workbench top.  It was very dirty because I've restored many tools recently.

Scraping my ash workbench top.

A closer look at the shavings

This tool is really working nicely.  I've put aside my Lie-Nielsen scraper plane and now use this inexpensive Stanley 12.

For sharpening a scaper like this I follow the instructions from Veritas.

Normand

No comments:

Post a Comment